1996-05-07 - Edited Edupage, 5 May 1996

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a677b26c4810f922e38f602c2afc504731717fd8ddc3c4ecc2056ef6acaae5f1
Message ID: <01I4E5FJVT688Y583T@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 13:40:04 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 13:40:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Edited Edupage, 5 May 1996

From:	IN%"educom@elanor.oit.unc.edu"  6-MAY-1996 14:32:36.01

>EU TAKES A CLOSER LOOK AT THE INTERNET
>European Union culture and telecommunications ministers met last week to
>discuss ways of controlling access to the Internet to prevent criminal
>activity and protect children.  "Many member states perceive the need now
>for some discipline, some kind of regulatory framework or code of ethics,"
>says the Italian telecommunications minister.  Some European governments,
>such as Germany and Great Britain, have already adopted Internet-related
>laws and others are considering it.  (Wall Street Journal 3 May 96 B5B)

	We've heard a lot on the German one. What's the Great Britain one look
like?

>CANADIAN SATELLITES TARGETED
>The race into space with direct broadcast satellite TV has created a
>regulatory black hole that the U.S. government is struggling to fill.  A
>plan by Telesat Canada to finance its $1.6-billion satellite program by
>leasing capacity to American broadcasters has prompted the Federal
>Communications Commission to hold special hearings in Washington to
>investigate whether it can regulate the use of Canadian satellites.
>(Toronto Financial Post 4 May 96 p1)

	Of course they're going to try to control it.
	-Allen