1996-05-18 - Re: Any DLL’s that handle Public Key Encryption or Key Exchange?

Header Data

From: pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a98af68145de79722d71198bd71162fdee6ce3eb72a0136f2a8aded926984603
Message ID: <199605161240.AAA20024@cs26.cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Raw Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 08:21:12 +0800

Raw message

From: pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 08:21:12 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Any DLL's that handle Public Key Encryption or Key Exchange?

Tall men in dark suits made draven@infi.net (Greg Morgan) write:

>I'm in the process of writing a freeware IRC client in Visual Basic 3 and
>wanted to encorporate a secure variant of DCC chat.  Trouble is I can't find a
>precompiled library that has either RSA or DH in it. This doesn't do me much
>good as I don't even own a Windows C compiler... (is that a crime in some
>countries? :) )

The next release of my encryption library (currently available as
ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/security/crypl110.zip) will contain a nice fast RSA
implementation.  It includes 16 and 32-bit DLL's.  Actually the current version
has support for it, but I took out the code because the key management routines
weren't ready yet.

There are two things worth noting, the first is that RSA itself isn't much use
without a *lot* of key management code (which is what's holding up the
RSA-enabled version).  The second is that if you're in the US you're probably
going to run into legal hassles using this code unless someone wants to do an
alternative RSAREF implementation which you can plug in in place of the
existing RSA code.

Peter.

Thread