1996-05-10 - Re: Remailer in a box

Header Data

From: Lance Cottrell <loki@obscura.com>
To: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Message Hash: ada4ecde570ffcd995ba5c76844c9f1330e803e167bf6b0b39c89257af14e453
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960509144958.23367A-100000@sirius.infonex.com>
Reply To: <01I4IDOS8GT88Y5B50@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-10 13:30:07 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 21:30:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Lance Cottrell <loki@obscura.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 21:30:07 +0800
To: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Subject: Re: Remailer in a box

On Thu, 9 May 1996, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:

> From:	IN%"loki@infonex.com"  9-MAY-1996 00:59:47.21
>
> >This could be done with a trivial modification to the source and
> >destination blocking lists (just change the sense of the checking).
>
> 	In other words, just change them from blocking to allowance? How much
> technical knowledge does this take? I can see doing the incoming with procmail.

It is fairly simple. There are just two subroutines which check the two
lists, and return a flag indicating whether to trash the message. Just
change it only send if a match is found. It is just a simple strstr in a
text file.

> >Cyberpass (www.cyberpass.net) offers UNIX accounts without dialin access
> >for $7 per month. These are available anonymously, and can be paid for with
> >ecash.
>
> 	Interesting. Having ones at other than c2.org is useful for backup
> purposes.

Can't let Sameer be the ONLY privacy provider on the Internet ;)

> >Yes, but I only give it to remailer operators. The "bramble" might get
> >flooded otherwise. Operators see the repercussions of their actions.
>
> 	Does it use how busy the remailer is to determine the approximate
> frequency of the messages, or does it just keep on going with whatever you
> tell it?
> 	Thanks,
> 	-Allen

The pinger is completely autonomous. It just sends chained messages
through random chains at random times. There are a handfull of these
running now. They make up a fair fraction of all Mixmaster remailer
traffic (it is impossible to know exactly how much).

	-Lance

Lance Cottrell   loki@infonex.com
President Infonex Internet Services
http://www.Infonex.com