1996-05-18 - Re: Forced to your knees by Legal VIOLENCE

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aec3d95102bddd2bc030a0e06fd15f643b99afc4c1de41859ac8649e0e90a1f2
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.93.960518010958.19939C-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <199605180030.RAA06625@netcom11.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-18 21:24:56 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 05:24:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 05:24:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Forced to your knees by Legal VIOLENCE

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Dave Harman wrote:

> IMHO, the IDEAL remailer is the following:
>
> What CAN be done right now, with anyone with linux and shell unix,
> account paid by fake name/address with postal money order,
> is have the linux machine dial up the account, several times a day,
> process the mailbox, download the mail, process the mail with pgp or
> mixmaster, upload to account, post/email with the appropriate
> header lines and VOILA!!
>
> !!!!!!!!!! FULL FEATURED HACKTIC STYLE REMAILER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Unfortunately I DON'T know how to DO any of this.
> Isn't someone else want to crank something out and share?
> Post around instructions for the clueless to follow.

Actually, you can be even more clueless than that and still run a
remailer, pretty much as you describe. See:

 http://www.c2.org/~winsock/

But that requires MicroSnot software rather than Linux, and of course,
your ISP is liable to shut you down, without notice, as soon as they
realize what you're doing. The service location and survivability problems
remain.

The POP/SMTP remailer idea has a lot of promise forprospective remailer
operators who are clueless and/or lack a full-time net connection, but you
still need to be upfront with your ISP about the fact that you're running
a remailer. The best ISPs will let you. I'm quite impressed with Portal
(or does Hal have something on them?), but I doubt Netcom would let you
into the remailer racket.

c2.org, of course, has enough remailers on it already, but I did play
with the WinSock Remailer for a bit. It should be quite trivial to hack
something like it together for Linux. Just run fetchmail or whatever as a
POP client, pipe the mail spool to your mixmaster, and SMTP away.

-rich
 http://www.almanac.bc.ca/cgi-bin/ftp.pl?people/m/metzger.tom
 http://www.almanac.bc.ca/cgi-bin/ftp.pl?orgs/american/war
 http://www.free.cts.com/crash/m/metzger/