1996-05-30 - Re: Statistical analysis of anonymous databases

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: alanh@infi.net
Message Hash: c5a11cebbbb658ca4311d72cb8fc9e8f0b231d1fe5bc0e1ca087e62b5e400378
Message ID: <01I5AWJPQ4XE8Y51NQ@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 21:59:56 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 21:59:56 +0800
To: alanh@infi.net
Subject: Re: Statistical analysis of anonymous databases

From:	IN%"alanh@infi.net"  "Alan Horowitz" 29-MAY-1996 19:09:26.68

>I would ask, is there any known medical gain that has resulted from
>such a data-base correllation.

>I do not accept a researcher's own statements as to the utility of the work
>(S)he's done with someone's funding.  Seen too much of it at close
>quarters...   Nor do I accept reeports in the lay press - these are
>nothing more than re-gurgitated press releases from PR depts of institutions.

	Medical gain? I was doing some research a bit back (paid for out of
my own pocket, thank you very much) that involved such correlations. We've used
them to revamp some allergy skin testing so that patients don't have to suffer
so many tests.
	-Allen

Thread