1996-05-22 - Re: Long-Lived Remailers

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c79632b3323aed6fc94cc9c730e6d2859d317d9969b157a2c3d6cf742884dad4
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.93.960521193756.954A-100000@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <adc74a7e21021004dd37@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-22 08:33:46 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 16:33:46 +0800

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 16:33:46 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Long-Lived Remailers

On Tue, 21 May 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> At 3:00 PM 5/21/96, Rev. Mark Grant, ULC wrote:
> >On Tue, 21 May 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:
> >> Traffic analysis will be quite easy to do, of course, as all mail sent to
> >> the persistent address comes out of the "disposable@foo.com" address.
> >> Q.E.D.
> >
> >Yeah, but the attack model I was assuming was lawyers rather than
> >intelligence agencies. The NSA could probably easily link the two
> >together, but the Church of Foobar(tm) probably couldn't. They'd only have
> >access to the logs on the ISP and the information you gave when you signed
> >up, not the raw packets on the Net.
>
> The traffic analysis on this fixed mapping system needs no access to
> packets and is childishly simple.
>
> Let's call the first site "Alice" and the emanation site "Bob."
>
> That is, all messages sent to the persistent site Alice appear to come from
> the site Bob.
>
> The Church of Clams can simply send messages addressed to themselves
> through the Alice remailer and see immediately that they appear to come
> from Bob.

	Randomize the output remailer? Sometimes Alice exits Bob,
Sometimes Charlie, sometimes Tom etc.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow@crash.suba.com