1996-05-06 - Re: Why I Pay Too Much in Taxes

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: Alan Horowitz <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: d8746c86997bb6715efba24bcb38157187be8561831a862e680d230edb5a60ff
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960506030904.00b2c604@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 15:21:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 15:21:23 +0800
To: Alan Horowitz <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Why I Pay Too Much in Taxes

At 09:48 PM 5/5/96 -0400, Alan Horowitz wrote:
><< " I paid approximately 60%...." >>
>

>didn't the feudal vassels only pay 33% ?      To paraphrase - I forget
>which Presidential candidate of yore - "are you better off than you were
>a thousand years ago?"

I asked my wife about this (she is a midaeval history buff) and her response
was "depends on the time and king".

She proceeded to list off the long list of taxes that vassels could be
expected to pay.  The current taxes in California do not come close to the
arbitrary and intrusive taxes imposed in feudal times.  Taxes could be
levied at any time the lord demanded. (Check into the custom of "Tallage".)
Of course this did not include the tithes to the church (which were
manditory) or any of the special taxes for wars, ransoms, and the like...

>ANd that's not even counting the interest you pay on your mortgage. Count
>that, and the vassels were head and shoulders above Californians.

I suggest reading what life in that time was really like.  It makes
California seem like a Libretarians paradise in comparison.  (For example,
unmarried villein women were taxed due to the assumption that their being
unchaste lessened their value to the lord.  Sounds like something Pat
Buchannon would like to bring back...)
---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon

Thread