1996-05-07 - Re: misunderstandings of PICS

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: vznuri@netcom.com
Message Hash: fbec2dd5eeab9a72e3316dbab2cec5f0ac86bce1e23b52a3b354f1ce3adcd238
Message ID: <01I4E4S4ZWSE8Y583T@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 13:19:09 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 13:19:09 +0800
To: vznuri@netcom.com
Subject: Re: misunderstandings of PICS

From:	IN%"vznuri@netcom.com"  "Vladimir Z. Nuri"  6-MAY-1996 15:47:46.22

>but you still don't understand what I stated. the above does not make
>any sense relative to the PICS system. it would be like saying, "we
>are going to report anyone who doesn't have a SMTP that bans dirty
>email". SMTP does not ban dirty email by definition. PICS does not
>censor material by definition. please read the PICS proposal (sorry the
>URL is not handy, could someone post it?)

	See below; I had read this _before_ posting on the CyberAngels and
PICS.

From:	IN%"frantz@netcom.com" 16-APR-1996 20:19:13.88
>From http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/PICS/iacwc.htm

>... PICS specifies three ways to distribute labels. The first is to embed
>labels in HTML documents. This method will be helpful for those who wish to
>label content they have created.
>
>The second method is for a client to ask an http server to send labels along
>with the documents it requests. The server would most likely offer the
>publishers' labels, but a server could also redistribute labels from third
>parties that it cooperates with. [Client sends URL of label service to browser
>which responds with that service's label.  bf]
>
>The third way to distribute labels is through a label bureau that dispenses
>only labels. A bureau could distribute labels created by one or more labeling
>services. A client asks the bureau for certain services' labels of specific
>resources. This is most likely to be used for third-party labels.

	In other words, the CyberAngels want to eliminate any pages that
contain material they think minors shouldn't see that aren't self-rated with
a PICS self-rating (the first of the three types) intended to block minors
from seeing it. Yes, this is an abuse of the market oriented variety of PICS;
they obviously don't know and/or don't care. If you want to convince them
otherwise, start cc:ing your messages (and forwarding mine, on this I give you
permission) on PICS and the CyberAngels to angels@wavenet.com.
	Incidentally, their pressure (especially the legal variety - acting as
informants) could also include against an ISP that doesn't do the second for
material the CyberAngels don't like.
	-Allen

Thread