1996-06-05 - Re: Richard Stallman on RSA, Zimmermann, crypto

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: 06d2fd75a049c21362fdd00c640cb7d47d54ea881abfdb2b06773564c9400a24
Message ID: <199606051058.GAA03569@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 22:09:16 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 22:09:16 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman on RSA, Zimmermann, crypto

Not to defend or condemn RSA folx or patents, etc., but sometime ago
(recently) I read or was told or perhaps hallucinated that PGP3 was
going to include non-RSA algorithms that didn't suffer the patent
stickiness (El Gammel based on DSA?)

Derek?

On  4 Jun 96 at 18:00, Declan McCullagh wrote:
[..]
> Richard's comments below are very much worth reading. Also check out the
[..]
> The version of PGP used outside the US is free software, but if you
> use it within the US, RSA Inc. can sue you.
>
> This is very bad for people who would like to use PGP.  But it is
> worse than that.  It affects the political battle too.
>
> PGP had a chance to create a constituency of Americans who demand the
> right to use encryption.  If PGP had been allowed for use in business,
> not just by hobbyists, we would have far more Americans who care
> enough to fight against Clipper--and they would include businesses
> which have the funds to influence legislators.  RSA Inc. prevented
> this from happening, and did so for no reason except money.
[..]
---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread