1996-06-05 - Re: Electronic Signature Act Of 1996

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Message Hash: 0a6edddd7e5e529b08c70d904b645c9745ace37b8ff69b81da6375528e05e87c
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960604155003.8159A-100000@polaris>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960604165840.00725e30@popmail.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-05 05:18:01 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 13:18:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 13:18:01 +0800
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic Signature Act Of 1996

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

>                        SANDY SANDFORT
>
> C'punks,
>
> At 11:11 AM 6/4/96 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> >...I get the impression that under the common law, an ink
> >signature is merely a demonstration that a party assented
> >to a contract, and except for certain contracts (which
> >usually require witnesses etc.) there is no requirement in
> >the law that a contract even be on paper...
>
> The "Statute of Frauds" lists the exceptions and they cover
> most important contracts.  I seem to recall that contracts
> over a given amount or for interests in real property for
> periods of a year or more are covered.  I'm sure someone
> with current access to legal research resources will post
> a better explanation.

Section 2-201 of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) provides:

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section a contract for the sale of
goods for the price of $500 or more is not enforceable by way of action
or defense unless there is some writing sufficent to indicate that a
contract for sale has been made between the parties and signed by the
party aginst whom enforcement is sought or by his authorized agent or
broker.

[...]

(3) A contract which does not satisify the requirements of subsection (1)
but which is valid in other respects is enforceable:

(a) If the goods are to be specially manufactured for the buyer and are
not suitable for sale to others in the ordinary course of the seller's
business and the seller, before notice of repudiation is received and
under circumstances which reasonably indicate that the goods are for the
buyer, has made either a substantial beginning of their manufacture or
commitments for their procurement; or

(b) If the party against whom enforcement is sought admits in his
pleading, testomony or otherwise in court that a contract for sale was
made, but the contract is not enforceable under this provision beyond a
qualtity of goods admitted; or

(c) With respect to goods for which payment has been made and accepted or
which have been received and accepted (See section 2-606).

*end

Note:  This only applies to the sale of GOODS.  Not all states follow the
UCC exactly.  Note also that the term "good" is a term of art which has a
complex and non-intuative meaning.

Is it a sale of goods?  (If yes, has the forum adopted the UCC?  If no,
then is there a state Statute of Frauds to look to?)
If it's not a sale of goods, well, then you have piles of contracts
reading to do.

In short:  While it is safest to provide for contracts larger then $500
in writing, there are many ways that contracts can be formed for millions
of dollars without a drop of ink or scrap of paper.  (Promisory Estoppel
comes to mind).

>  S a n d y

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn@schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread