1996-06-15 - PR Firm To Tame Net

Header Data

From: caal@hopf.dnai.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 12472e070e5d857489d9796fd414591eac329e801806f70a460e080ef54061a3
Message ID: <199606141558.IAA20308@hopf.dnai.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 10:10:28 +0800

Raw message

From: caal@hopf.dnai.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 10:10:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PR Firm To Tame Net

Did anyone on this list read the SF Chronicle article a few days ago about a
PR firm, that "tames rogue Web sites".  It monitors the Web for these sites,
finds the people who created them and tries to convince them to go offline.
"if gentle persuasion doesn't wprk", said the founder, "you need to bring in
the lawyers".  He gives the example of a Kmart Sucks site, created by a
disgruntled employee, and the First Boston site where a former employee
published proprietary salary figures...I guess he doesn't know that making
derogatory comments is LEGAL.

You know, we were talking these days about the Net putting the masses back
in mass media...this guy says these days are over.  His e-mail address is
m.a@ix.netcom.com.

Thread