1996-06-01 - Re: Remailer chain length?

Header Data

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
To: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
Message Hash: 2275d803a9c1d29462d43fe53ad79fc6587f96ab418df90e5e849b89ee468551
Message ID: <199605311956.PAA25321@universe.digex.net>
Reply To: <199605282112.QAA03652@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-01 03:39:05 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 11:39:05 +0800

Raw message

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 11:39:05 +0800
To: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
Subject: Re: Remailer chain length?

Jim Choate writes:
>> It's better than nothing.  And besides, the more remailers there are, the
>> more difficult it is to do traffic analysis on remailer traffic.  Actually,
>> its the more remailers people chain messages through, but there are software
>> packages that can do this easily.  The more remailers there are, the longer
>> remailer chains have the possibility of becoming.
>
>If this is strictly true, why not simply run several instances of a remailer
>on the same machine. Then randomly chain them prior to sending them off
>site. This would be a lot cheaper and faster than trying to convince
>hobbyist to set it up or businesses to to use their profit & legal council.

Because it's not strictly true.  Implicit in traffic analysis is looking
at the "envelopes" of the traffic.  Since this means intercepting those
envelopes, once you've put your monitor on the first remailer at a site,
you've probably gotten all the rest at the site for free.

I don't think multiple remailers at the same site help anything.

Thread