1996-06-01 - Re: Where does your data want to go today?

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2970a31e3ce5b00fe4b231cca80987bf408b02695f82bbdd69f50e5809e5bb4d
Message ID: <199606010032.RAA27060@netcom7.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 12:33:19 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 12:33:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Where does your data want to go today?

At  3:25 AM 5/31/96 -0400, David F. Ogren wrote:

>> > Most compression schemes put a header/index on the front of the
>> > compressed data.
>> > This makes recognizing the correct decryption very simple.
>> >
>> > Call it a limited "known plaintext" situation.
>>

>Using a random IV also limits the effectiveness of using known
>headers for "known plaintext" attacks.  Also note that a good block
>cipher isn't that vulnerable even to "known plaintext" attacks.

I don't think this is true given a brute force attack.  Let me assume
DES-CBC as a specific system.  Let us assume that the plaintext is:

  IV || PKZIP2.1 || <compressed data>

Where IV is the 8 byte initialization vector.

The brute force system decrypts the first, and second blocks (8 bytes each)
of the cyphertext, XORs them, and compares the result with "PKZIP2.1".  If
the comparison is equal it has the key.

If we eliminated the header and just started with the compressed data, then
the brute force system would have to decrypt and decompress enough of the
data to run statistical tests.  The cost of the additional decryptions,
decompression, and statistical tests substantially raise the cost of the
brute force attack.

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread