1996-06-05 - Re: FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Sandy Sandfort <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2b27a20222f72ee22df3a0cd1cb6e3aaf511cea9559631c4bcaab65424d53a77
Message ID: <199606050507.WAA09930@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 18:17:54 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 18:17:54 +0800
To: Sandy Sandfort <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

At 12:30 PM 6/4/96 -0700, Sandy Sandfort wrote:
> Carl Ellison wrote:
>>After the meeting ended it hit me what the problem is and I
>>mentioned it to PRZ.  We're complaining that the Executive
>>has gone rogue -- is disobeying the will of the people.
>>PRZ likened it to Nixon's war in Cambodia.
>
> Jim Bell replied:
>
>>I have a solution to that problem.
>
>My question for member of this list is:  When Bell finally
>goes too far and they arrest or shoot him, how can we best
>capitalize on his martyrdom?  Or in a more negative light,
>what damage control will we need to do in that case?
>Now I know that barking dogs rarely bite, but Jim may just
>fool us and find his cajones.  In any event, the sort of
>yapping he is doing could itself be considered a crime that
>could attract the sort of negative attention he apparently
>craves.

If there is any doubt that we _need_ a system to rid us of these sleazy
politicians: I just saw tonight's PBS McNeil news hour, and they had two
politicians on, one of which was promoting a re-emergence of the "Star Wars"
missile defense system, which even under optimistic scenarios would cost
hundreds of billions of dollars.

My solution is simpler and far less expensive: Target any political or
military person at any level who is directly or indirectly in control of any
offensive missile system (nuclear or otherwise), killing off as many as it
takes until they cry "uncle" and destroy all of that hardware.  Probable
cost of this persuasian?  A few hundred million dollars, at most.

Who is committing the crime, here?  Maybe, someday, you'll start really
LISTENING to what I have to say.

ObCrypto?  Your motivations are quite opaque.  Maybe we can turn them into a
cryptosystem?

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread