1996-06-03 - Why PGP isn’t so ubiquitous (was NRC Session Hiss)

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 2d5aa2d23cf0090f874ac463965c34added6471acb7c82e2abc954769d3aced9
Message ID: <199606030902.FAA27168@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 20:18:46 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 20:18:46 +0800
To: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Subject: Why PGP isn't so ubiquitous (was NRC Session Hiss)

On  2 Jun 96 at 21:15, Lucky Green wrote:

> That PGP is ubiquitous is subject to discussion. PGP is widely available,
> but that doesn't mean that it is widely used. What percentage of email is
> PGP encrypted? Less than half a percent?

In part because it's not well integrated with mailers.  That could
change with a PGP3 DLL.

PGP isn't only used for email:

 o files distributed over the net that are PGP-signed
 o signed email
 o non-emailed file distributions (over BBS, or physical
    transfer of disks)
 o personal storage (though other utilities are better-suited
    for that than PGP)
 o related utilities that make use of PGP-keys (HPack
    archiver)

The reasons PGP hasn't become widely used are because of it's lack of
user-friendliness and poor integration into other tools, irregardless
of S/MIME.

Rob.

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread