1996-06-20 - Re: Digital Cash application

Header Data

From: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
To: jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 393162028816ff0a1876719077192bd9a84d8f3a20f2d778482209c081ac2e8e
Message ID: <Qlm=og_00YUyEZadge@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199606191813.LAA27918@mail.pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-20 08:48:53 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:48:53 +0800

Raw message

From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:48:53 +0800
To: jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Digital Cash application

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 19-Jun-96 Re: Digital Cash
application by jim bell@pacifier.com
> It seems to me that since paying people funds that were stolen from them
> would produce good publicity, which by definition could be argued to be
> spending it on the campaign.  Sure, it's a non-traditional tactic, but that
> doesn't mean it's in violation of the campaign law.  They could also email
> along a set of libertarian literature, and the recipient would certify that
> he would promote the libertarian cause and work for the election of the
> candidate, etc, etc.

Jim: I've worked on a presidential campaign before and can tell you that
if the FEC is likely to consider something a violation, the campaign is
not going to skirt the line.

That said, perhaps the law is outdated and needs to be changed. The
portion of the campaign finance law, as intepreted by the FEC, barring
online services from providing free accounts to political candidates, is
now being scrutinized in Congress. Rep. White will introduce a reform
bill in about two weeks.

-Declan

Thread