1996-06-22 - Re: Science Lessons in the Mountains of New Mexico

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: se7en <se7en@dis.org>
Message Hash: 4fe68648193f883437f3b01e965d2e02bc011da00ce5cccfd21fd681c1d23327
Message ID: <199606220915.FAA16203@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 21:47:57 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 21:47:57 +0800
To: se7en <se7en@dis.org>
Subject: Re: Science Lessons in the Mountains of New Mexico

So where did you get this promotional hype? At least quote your
sources. (Or did you write this?)

The tone of that piece sounds like an advert telling me to invest $$$
into Santa Fe Inst.

On 21 Jun 96 at 13:39, se7en wrote:
[..]
> The current thinkers are looking into not just mathematical complexity,
> but complexity itself. Complexity theory. Complex systems of any
> definition--the weather, perhaps, or the human immune system, or the
> organizational behavior of insects--and how their workings and
> adaptations might hold lessons for other fields, not least business.
[..]

Methinks "Complexity theory" (aka Dynamical Systems Theory) is
wonderful hype to get research grants.  Certain people think by
throwing money into this area that they can predict better, when much
of theory deals with how these systems *cannot* be well predicted in
*some* areas of behavior.  Other people over-mystify the complexity of
a system and declare *nothing* can be predicted, of course.

Something akin to 60s-70s electrical utility exces bragging to each
other on golf courses about how they own nuke plants.  Hip thing now
is for the company to invest in research or use methods based on
"Chaos Theory"... you'll be really cool at parties if you drop those
words to people. Any form of analysis that uses lots of variables
gets labelled as having to do with "Chaos Theory" and the research
grants grow, even though it may not deal with those variables as a
*dynamic system*. Substance though?

Not that studies in compelx systems are useless. By far the opposite.
(though the question of useful to *who* is important.  Using chaos
theory to enhance methods of central control rather than allowing
emergent behaviors is one downside of what some people are looking to
the Santa Fe institute for.)

Other than noting crypto in the first paragraph and mentioning
SmartCards, what does this have to do with crypto and socio-
political implications of widespread use of crypto?

ObCrypto: similarities in literature on chaos theory and
cryptanlysis.  I've seens refs to using various forms of chaotic
equations or cellular automata for crypto, but most of the writers
seem ignorant of any crypto-literature (never mentioning that
Wolfram's PRNG is crackable, for instance).

Backburner Idea: if all 1D CA's are equivalent to LFSRs, and if [need
to find refs to this alleged proof] all 2+D CA's have an equivalent
1D CA, then if a crypto algorithm can be duplicated as a CA...

Alas I ramble on about ideas which I am not an expert at...

Rob.

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread