1996-06-02 - Re: WSJ on “IRS-bashing”

Header Data

From: jamesd@echeque.com
To: Rich Graves <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 542a299e58427890a9607026fc5ad1b53505f58a539d1a334709e3a31a475c9b
Message ID: <199606012148.OAA24297@dns1.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 09:04:55 +0800

Raw message

From: jamesd@echeque.com
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 09:04:55 +0800
To: Rich Graves <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: WSJ on "IRS-bashing"

At 04:01 PM 5/29/96 -0700, Rich Graves, who lives in a parallel
universe where political correctness is no threat to liberty,
and the FBI and BATF no threat to law abiding people wrote:
> any such law
> would be invalidated by R.A.V. v. St. Paul. The only exceptions are
> restrictions on "fighting words" that meet the tests in Chaplinsky v. New
> Hampshire and "hostile working environment" discrimination, which I assume
> is what you're talking about, in some elliptical way.

When I was looking for a house in Oregon, I pointed at the map and asked the
real estate lady "Why are houses in this area cheap".  She did not give a
straight answer I pressed her, and then she then started asking me
questions that indicated she suspected I was an agent provocateur
from the government trying to entrap her into revealing forbidden information.
I eventually discovered that the area in question was occupied predominantly
by people of a particular ethnic group, but she was forbidden to tell me this
information.  This explanation of the price disparity did not occur to me
until she started feeling me out to see if I was a cop.

But Rich Graves does not regard that sort of thing as any violation on
freedom of speech.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com