1996-06-18 - Re: Britain to control crypto - official (fwd from Usenet)

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Simon Spero <wb8foz@nrk.com>
Message Hash: 56b31ddbfa72a16b3da599800b11e1baa9545c61c6ca47660ea0b64391aeae12
Message ID: <199606180611.XAA08571@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 20:34:46 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 20:34:46 +0800
To: Simon Spero <wb8foz@nrk.com>
Subject: Re: Britain to control crypto - official (fwd from Usenet)

At 07:38 PM 6/17/96 -0400, Simon Spero wrote:

>4) Will LEAs be permitted to impersonate a non-consenting third party
>for the purposes of allowing a conversation to be intercepted?
>(blatant violation of the 4th ammendme... oh shit- never mind).

You may recall discussions on CP many months ago concerning the extent to
which an Internet provider would be obligated to obey a cop with a warrant
who asks for (for example) a "data wiretap" of a customer.  I happen to
believe that one of the things that's going to have to be settled, and
settled soon, is a ban on governments coercing people (ISP's, etc) to
violate their contracts with others.

If my ISP enters into a contract with me to (among other things) tell me if
my data is tapped, OR he agrees to send me a certification of non-tap status
daily as long as it's valid and cease sending them when tapping starts, etc,
presumably if he fulfils his part of the agreement I will soon learn of a
tap.

One of the things that was particularly important to the Founding Fathers
was what they referred to as "Impairment of Contracts," which meant as I
recall the act of government passing laws and rules which affect my ability
to contract with you.  Not surprisingly, they didn't like that, such
restrictions.  If their desires were respected, presumably there would be no
way for the government to come between two contractors to get one to betray
the other.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread