1996-06-05 - Export what’s imported

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 58a3c2b69e3482d7bf2880d242f4079c1b0076a955a756851224fb9e28a91fd5
Message ID: <199606041824.LAA02369@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 11:43:38 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 11:43:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Export what's imported

Recently, Senator Burns introduced that bill, S.1726, "ProCode."  Part of it
had to do with changes in the export laws to allow export of things that are
currently not allowed.

It occurs to me that this bill should be amended to say, explicitly, that
any object or software which has ever been imported into the US can be
legally exported. (Including multiple copies of software.)  It is
particularly important that we do this now that the NTT encryption chip set
has been announced.   Why?

Well, first, we CAN easily justify this.  The claim for export controls is
that they restrict the access of encryption to various of the horsemen, out
there.  But by definition anything which has ever been imported is already
available outside the US, so it'll look rather silly if they try to control
somebody from export that came from out of the country.

What are the benefits?  Maybe it'll destroy the entire
crypto-export-regulation system.  Domestic software companies can simply set
up a practice of buying all their crypto expertise from overseas.  If this
happened over the long term this would be bad, but it won't because within a
couple of years good crypto will be exported by American manufacturers based
on foreign designs.  Pretty soon the export bans will become meaningless
(even more so than they are today) and the pressure to remove the last
restrictions will be enormous.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread