1996-06-29 - Re: anonymous mailing lists

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: ichudov@algebra.com
Message Hash: 5a0eb4052e1b3f6d788b5db3e3de3b555084d784fadd7186f8a9b9e07fcd2dea
Message ID: <199606291637.JAA28348@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:13:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:13:04 +0800
To: ichudov@algebra.com

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
> A nice, albeit quite expensive, way of pretection from traffic analysis
> is to create a mailing list (or a newsgroup) and forward all messages to
> all users of that mailing list or newsgroup. Of course, since messages
> are encrypted, only the recipients will be able to decrypt them.

This was discussed here several years ago, under the name "anonymous
message pools".  Myron Cuperman, the operator of the extropia remailer
implemented one, although I don't know if it is still running (I
haven't gotten any mail from it for years).  It was basically just a
mailing list specifically for this purpose, that you would use as your
anonymous return address.  Of course a problem is that there may not be
enough people signed up to provide much privacy protection.

Hal

Thread