1996-06-04 - Re: Saw this on CNN: Anonymous Stock tips over IRC as bad???

Header Data

From: rick hoselton <hoz@univel.telescan.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6105f4fc423efefc9d7f47f02e1960a74ab8764990906dc7dbe90747ac119780
Message ID: <199606032018.NAA03658@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 10:05:55 +0800

Raw message

From: rick hoselton <hoz@univel.telescan.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 10:05:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Saw this on CNN: Anonymous Stock tips over IRC as bad???

>Perry E. Metzger writes:

>> Timothy C. May writes:

Suggestion #1:
Never get your legal advice from cypherpunks newsletter.

Suggestion #2:
If you absolutely can't resist going against Suggestion #1,
then listen carefully to Perry.

As just a lowly programmer around here, I have often been told
that I would be breaking the law if I trade on some piece of
information before it becomes public.  I am not such an "insider"
that I must register my trades 90 days in advance.  I've read the
actual statute. (though I am not a lawyer and, these days, even
lawyers don't know what a law means until the final verdict)

You might also want to ask Ivan Boeskey(sp?).  I think he's out of
Federal prison by now.  He's the guy that cut a deal with the Feds
to give him time to sell a few billion dollars worth of stock before
being arrested, so that he could pay his fine.  Once he was arrested,
the value of those stocks fell.  It looks to me like he and the Feds
traded on inside information so that he could pay his fine for trading
on inside information.  He still went to jail, and he had enough money
for good lawyers.  Imagine what would happen to me!

>IANAL, but I think you must be wrong about this, Perry.  If this were
>the case then, as an employee of company XYZ, I would never be permitted
>to buy XYZ stock (which is clearly not the case) since I *always* have
>information that others outside the company do not (about staff changes,
>product plans and such).  I suspect the deciding factor must have to do
>with the ability to execute actions which have substantial direct effects
>on the stock price (i.e. buying a company, declaring dividends, having a
>massive downsizing, etc.).
>

>-- Jeff

Thread