1996-06-19 - Re: SafE Mail Corporation

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: “M.Wagoner (1)” <safemail@ntrnet.net>
Message Hash: 69ed2a2a215a2a50ae20c5e71617d5d467f01fb4d31421a01eb00376dc60f1aa
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.93.960618154407.20055A-100000@polaris>
Reply To: <199606181250.IAA00625@ns1.ntrnet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-19 03:57:07 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:57:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:57:07 +0800
To: "M.Wagoner (1)" <safemail@ntrnet.net>
Subject: Re: SafE Mail Corporation

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, M.Wagoner (1) wrote:

> Thanks for responding.

You're lucky I even bothered to take the two minutes it required to do
that.

> >> We would like someone to be able or should I say try and crack our
> >> encryption. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.
> >
> >With the above you have saved me the trouble of even trying.
>

> I can understand your reaction but this is a brand new approach to
> crypotrography that no one else has thought about doing.

Any approach to "cryotrography" [sic] which includes absolute statements
about unbreakability (like your quote above) betrays such ignorance about
the nature of the science as to render it a literal glowing neon brand on
your forehead reading :DO NOT PURCHASE CRYPTO FROM THIS MAN: and
accompanied by a loud speaker repeating same at 100dB.

Using cow feces to encrypt messages is also a brand new approach which no
one else has thought about doing.  That hardly means it is worth more than
the feces itself.

> >Your appraoch to cryptography betrays such ignorance that nothing which
> >your "corporation" produces could be of the slightest redeeming value.
> >
> >(Bloody snake oil venders)
> >
> >Now go away.

> I really wish I knew what you meant by this. If I made you upset, I apoligize.

It means I consider your product dirt.  Cryptography is about economics.
I'm not going to spend time teaching you the tenants of the science
itself though it is clear you need such a lecture.  Try reading "Applied
Cryptography" for starters.

Calling a given cypher "uncrackable" is simple fiction or ignorance.

I might add that I am an attorney licensed to practice in the District of
Columbia, among other jurisdictions.  Having looked at your web page and
the comparisons you make to PGP I can tell you without much qualification
at all that it is at worst defamation and fraud.  I would not at all be
surprised to find that each sale of product you make constitutes a count
of wire fraud (18 U.S.C.A. sections 1341, 1343) and a count of mail fraud
if the product is shipped via the mails.  I also believe that ViaCrypt and
whoever else may have claim to the rights to market PGP commercially has a
clear action of defamation, tortious interference with contract and
depending on the state, unlawful sales interference.  The fraud element
would activate punative damages provisions.

Should any of these parties come to me asking for advice I would direct
them immediately to the nearest courthouse.

Tell me, is your "corporation" licensed to do business in any state?  Is
it licensed as a corporation?  Limited Liabiltiy? Many states impose
sanctions, including administrative disolution and fines, for the use of
misleading corporate forms or names while conducting interstate commerce
(which you are clearly doing).

> >> Our Web site is http://www.sfmc.com  Phone number is 1-800-252-9938.
> >Clearly a waste of good storage space.
> >
> Again thanks for your comments.

Mr. Estridge, were I your attorney, and I thank my lucky stars that I am
not, I would suggest that you post a retraction immediately, and forward a
very polite letter of apology to ViaCrypt and perhaps Mr. Zimmerman.

Maybe they are too busy to sue you, report you to the better business
bureau, the FTC, or the state attorney general and the postmaster.

> >> Randy Estridge
> >> SafE Mail Corporation

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn@schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread