1996-06-26 - Leahy vs. Landers

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6af121e42d779ea764eeaae1108440c8180646f7d538e84ddffa67de3d654f7c
Message ID: <199606251758.RAA09092@pipe1.t1.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 09:00:29 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 09:00:29 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Leahy vs. Landers

   Thanks to MF:

   The Washington Post, June 24, 1996.

   Dear Ann Landers:

   You have recently printed letters from people whose spouses
   have left them for people they met on the Internet.

   As a 55-year-old who has been happily married for 33 years,
   I am living proof that the vast majority of us Internet
   fans use our computers to browse newspapers, see the
   treasures of the Sistine Chapel, check the weather in
   Vermont or read the latest Batman comic. I think your
   readers should be assured that almost all Americans on-line
   have no intention of stealing someone else's spouse or
   leaving their own.

   Just as reckless and irresponsible drivers should not ruin
   it for drivers who act responsibly, neither should a few
   bored Web crawlers foul up the Internet for the rest of us.

   -- Sen. Patrick Leahy (D Vt.)

   Dear Pat:

   You are a superb senator. Vermont is lucky to have you. As
   an advice columnist, however, you aren't so hot. Granted,
   most Web crawlers are fairly decent people, but many are
   not interested in the Sistine Chapel or Batman. The
   Internet is tailor-made for con men, the lonely and the
   bored. The word from here is beware. More on this subject
   tomorrow.

   [Ann's two letters today exemplify the grief and joy of
   betrayal and love on the Net.]

   Questions may be sent to: Ann Landers, c/o Creators
   Syndicate, 5777 W. Century Blvd., Suite 700, Los Angeles,
   Calif. 90045.

Thread