1996-06-12 - Comments on MicroPayments and the Web

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6bd00d15a06896402db0c7759a0d6511a88b2f5f60ae5e257dfec180809b6e3c
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960611193553.00cb57a0@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:29:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:29:07 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Comments on MicroPayments and the Web

I do not see micropayment schemes gaining any acceptance in the long run.
Here is why...

1)  I expect a few scam artists out there to pull something like with what
has been done with 976 numbers.  Put up something that looks like a "hot
page" and then charge you lots of cash when you hit the site.  (Instead of a
fraction of a cent, a quarter or twenty bucks?)  If they are a heavy web
surfer, the ream of paper needed to find the offending page would be pretty
obnoxious.  Most would just pay the bill.  (Leading to even more scams of
this type.)

2)  If a dialog comes up for each site that wants to ding you for a bit of
money, these sites are going to resemble the pay toilets of the net.  People
will go there if they have to, but avoid them (or crawl under with an old
browser) if they can.

All in all, it just sounds like another scam dreamed up by someone in
marketing to Make Money Fast off the Internet.
---
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano/          | alano@teleport.com  |

Thread