1996-06-08 - Re: Anonymous stock trades.

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: hallam@Etna.ai.mit.edu
Message Hash: 798db2b01340489a973b41035ee179b2415137249f2f9d9866affa0add313010
Message ID: <199606071832.OAA18353@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <9606071739.AA04525@Etna.ai.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-08 04:53:34 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 12:53:34 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 12:53:34 +0800
To: hallam@Etna.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Anonymous stock trades.

hallam@Etna.ai.mit.edu writes:
> No, you miss the point. Friedman has become a slave to his theory, he is
> attempting to push his idea even to solve a situation it clearly
> cannot.

I don't believe you when you claim that Friedman said what you claim
at all. I suspect it is, as most of your other comments have been,
either a complete misunderstanding of some actual comments or
something pulled essentially out of the air. The claim you have made
is so at odds with the Milton Friedman who's writings I have been
reading for years (and indeed so out of character for any member of
his economic school) that I find it nearly impossible to believe that
the article exists as stated.

No modern economist would claim that the market solution to preventing
a species from going extinct is for people not to buy it. Its one of
the msot idiotic statements I've heard in years. As a nobel prize
winning economist, Friedman understands things like commons issues and
the public goods problem and I cannot believe he would ever make such
an inane statment, no matter what you claim.

Given your poor record with facts here recently (nearly every
assertion you have made about the Hillary Clinton case, from claiming
she was trading options when she traded futures to obviously having no
knowledge of the size of her trades), I will want to see a reprint of
the article you claim exists before I will accept that there is any
validity to your claims whatsoever.

Perry

Thread