1996-06-27 - Re: CIA Fears UmpTeen InfoNukes

Header Data

From: “Clay Olbon II” <Clay.Olbon@dynetics.com>
To: “Mike McNally” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7b1ddedf563a158e0a1f7f7ea19ef150d09f0d1f45e6ef0d613abc785662928c
Message ID: <ADF71F69-19B1582@193.239.225.200>
Raw Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:42:06 +0800

Raw message

From: "Clay Olbon II" <Clay.Olbon@dynetics.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:42:06 +0800
To: "Mike McNally" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: CIA Fears UmpTeen InfoNukes

Mike M Nally wrote:

>By the way, there was a thing in the Yahoo/Reuters feed about "attacks"
>on DoD computers; apparently British police arrested a "hacker" the
>other day.  Anyway, the article included a claim that there have been
>250,000 attempted break-ins on DoD computers over the past year.
>
>Does anybody know how they count
that?

>______c____________________________________________________________________
_
>Mike M Nally * Tiv^H^H^H IBM * Austin TX    * pain is inevitable
>       m5@tivoli.com * m101@io.com          *
>      <URL:http://www.io.com/~m101>         * suffering is optional

Probably the same way other things are counted when used to make a
political point (# of homeless people, # of date rape victims, etc.).  Make
a wild-ass guess based on a very small sample, then multiply by a factor of
10 or 100.  I think lying with statistics has become a national pastime
recently.  I tend to not trust numbers issued by folks who stand to gain
from the use of the numbers.

	Clay

Clay Olbon II       *      Clay.Olbon@dynetics.com
Systems Engineer    *    PGP262 public key on web page
Dynetics, Inc.      * http://www.msen.com/~olbon/olbon.html

Thread