1996-06-22 - Re: Sen. Specter and Kerry move to delay crypto legislation

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: 7eebf28138a31263b739d7b5b443d8b5f923668aeebff110438a4556647b1c07
Message ID: <199606212303.QAA18192@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 13:11:14 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 13:11:14 +0800
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: Re: Sen. Specter and Kerry move to delay crypto legislation

At 06:19 PM 6/21/96 -0400, Black Unicorn wrote:

>> >To which which Leahy Bill are you referring?
>>
>> The one introduced on February 26, 1996.
>
>I think the above message was refering to "procode" however.

Certainly not by name.  It merely referred to legislation that Leahy "sponsored."
 Leahy _did_ seem to act like he was in favor of the Burns bill, as well,
after ECPA got the bad press, and maybe he's a co-sponsor of the Procode
bill as well.  Even so, the letter did not appear to be CC:'d to Burns, so I
conclude that it was intended to refer to at least the ECPA, if not both bills.

                          United States Senate
                     Select Committee on Intelligence

                             June 7, 1996
                                                   SSCI #96-2219B

 The Honorable Patrick J. Leahy
 United States Senator
 Senate Russell Building, Room 433
 Washington, D.C. 20510-4502

 Dear Pat:

      We write to express our concerns about legislation you have sponsored
 which would impact directly upon federal encryption policy, including export
 control policy.  Recognizing that American innovation in encryption
 technology is unequaled, we appreciate the need to balance US economic
 competitiveness with the need to safeguard national security interests.  As
 such, it is our belief that this legislation requires careful study and
 reflection and that the Senate and the Congress as a whole should proceed
 with caution until all of the implications of such an initiative are fully
 discerned.  Along these lines, it is our understanding that industry
 representatives are currently meeting with the Administration to discuss new
 policy initiatives to address this issue.  Also, both the Congress and the
 Administration have undertaken to conduct a thorough analysis of a two-year
 congressionally-mandated study on federal encryption policy that was
 facilitated by the National Research Council.  We therefore feel that your
 legislation initiative at this time is premature.

      We appreciate your efforts to bring some needed clarity to United
 States policy in this area and wish to keep the lines open for discussion
 and debate on this important issue.  The staff point of contact on this
 issue is our Committee Counsel, Mark Heilbrun, who can be reached at
 224-1700.
                                 Sincerely,
 Arlen Specter                                   J. Robert Kerrey
 Chairman                                        Vice-Chairman

 cc:  The Honorable Alfonse D'Amato
      Chairman, Senate Committee on Banking

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com