1996-06-06 - Re: Cost of brute force decryption

Header Data

From: “Bruce M.” <brucem@wichita.fn.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7f0c3b7f45881f3bc6f71310786d678c052d1c234d09c05c9051a2d66c622ba3
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.91.960605092010.23845A-100000@wichita.fn.net>
Reply To: <199606050631.CAA01285@unix.asb.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-06 00:21:53 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:21:53 +0800

Raw message

From: "Bruce M." <brucem@wichita.fn.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:21:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cost of brute force decryption

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Deranged Mutant wrote:

> The figures look familiar.  No references around.  I'm not sure it would
> require a whole two weeks for 40-bits, though.  Possibly less than a
> day? (Or was that why you asked baout the figures?)
>
> The "$10,000 worth of supercomputer time" is fuzzy.  One thing that's
> left out is that once an organization already owns the equipment and
> has the money to spare, it may be worthwhile to crack things of less
> importance like personal checking info, email, etc.

    Obviously this will depend on what type of computer(s) you are using
among other things.  That was what I'm curious about.  Is there some type
of rough formula where you could just plug in the different variables
(computer speed, speed of each attempt, key length, etc.) and come up
with some type of answer.  I was also curious to find out if anyone knew
where he had come up with these figures.

                    Bruce M. * brucem@feist.com
        "Knowledge enormous makes a god of me." -- John Keats

Thread