1996-06-20 - Re: German Federal Bank opposes e-cash

Header Data

From: Stephan Somogyi <somogyi@digmedia.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 817b3aff1b38754e611ea5ff7b7b801913fdc3453c5f7e655ae42deaf70b0a67
Message ID: <v03007500adee319399c6@[198.93.25.98]>
Reply To: <m0uWKRm-0000B2C@ulf.mali.sub.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-20 05:33:50 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 13:33:50 +0800

Raw message

From: Stephan Somogyi <somogyi@digmedia.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 13:33:50 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: German Federal Bank opposes e-cash

At 10:19 -0700 19.6.96, Ian Goldberg wrote:

> Maybe the journalists are just misinformed, or possibly the banking
> people?

When I met with the head of payment systems for the German federal bank
late last year, he seemed pretty with it and knowledgable about the
relevant issues.

> That's very interesting, especially considering Deutsche Bank has signed
> on to be an ecash mint

At the risk of providing redundant information, the Deutsche Bank is a
commercial bank that has nothing to do with the Deutsche Bundesbank,
which is the central bank.

Personally, I don't think too much should be read into the
announcement. It contains no fundamentally new information and is
simply a public articulation of on otherwise obvious state of affairs.
(Or did anyone really think that the central banks weren't paying close
attention to these goings on?)

Stephan

Stephan Somogyi                Mr Gyroscope                Digital Media

Thread