1996-06-03 - [Noisy] More curfews (was Re: opinions on book “The Truth Machine”)

Header Data

From: “Rev. Mark Grant, ULC” <mark@unicorn.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8835889bd787adc8d1a8e6578029c6fdb1aeac11fd26e68f53e5a631cb825ceb
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9606031621.A13492-0100000@unicorn.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 06:39:08 +0800

Raw message

From: "Rev. Mark Grant, ULC" <mark@unicorn.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 06:39:08 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: [Noisy] More curfews (was Re: opinions on book "The Truth Machine")

On Sat, 1 Jun 1996, Adam Back wrote:

> political climate.  Having just read your post on curfews my response
> was what the fuck, are you serious?  It totally amazes me that public
> opinion has got to the stage that something like this would be
> accepted.

Interesting that the day after you posted this the front-page of the UK's
major newspapers carried a story about the Labour party proposing
precisely the same thing in the UK. Of course the cops already have
surveillance cameras all over the place.

> I'm not sure where I would stand on this legally, but I have so far
> resisted the temptation to tell them it's none of their business.

I tried it a few weeks ago when they stopped me for a random breath test
(illegal as far as I know) after following me for three miles while I
scrupulously obeyed the law. They originally claimed that they had stopped
me randomly, because "that's what I pay them for", but when I questioned
the legality they decided that I'd crossed the centerline while passing a
parked car and therefore must be drunk (even though my car was too wide to
not cross the line). In other words, I don't think they care about the
legal issues. Still, I suppose it's better than being stopped for "driving
at 2:30 in the morning" again. Hmm, who said the UK didn't have a curfew
already?

> They are I think
> talking about making it law that all target pistols must be kept at
> the gun club (whereas currently you can take them home to clean (but
> not shoot)).

Gun-thieves will love that one. Why steal them one at a time when you can
steal twenty or thirty in one go?

	Mark "Out of Europe in a few more days" Grant

Thread