1996-06-07 - Re: [Off-Topic] “Curfews”

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: drosoff@arc.unm.edu>
Message Hash: 8aa24652d56fbf6e0115135e3b4be5328bb91913c7e46bcc8d64eabc21ab0fa8
Message ID: <199606070059.RAA09341@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 19:59:58 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 19:59:58 +0800
To: drosoff@arc.unm.edu>
Subject: Re: [Off-Topic]  "Curfews"

At 02:47 PM 6/6/96 +0000, Jean-Francois Avon wrote:

>Sorry Jim, I did not get that at all in the past.  I assumed a
>context where the inner workings of AP would not be well understood
>by the population while here, you seems to indicate that everybody
>would operate under the threat / deterrance of mutual anihilation
>principle.

Hmmm...  sorry, I thought that was obvious.  Well, perhaps not "obvious,"
but it's one of those facts that will become second nature to people once AP
starts up.

>A argued that an impulsive guy might target somebody unjustifiably
>while I overlooked that he could think twice before doing so.  But by
>his nature, being a violent or thug at heart, he will understand this
>"peace based on threat" maybe even better than a pacifist at heart.
>So, my arguments might not stand.

As can be expected, people will be looking out for themselves in an
AP-dominated system, just as today.  I think most people will have a fairly
good idea who's targeting them if the hit's not justified.  Almost every
justified hit can be fairly anonymous.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread