1996-06-30 - Re: Cookies anyone?

Header Data

From: jfricker@vertexgroup.com (John F. Fricker)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9222223ee6fe27c798a552eb823fa781e771771ddb87f987f39b42b6715fd088
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960630055331.00741f70@vertexgroup.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 16:47:36 +0800

Raw message

From: jfricker@vertexgroup.com (John F. Fricker)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 16:47:36 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cookies anyone?

At 04:34 PM 6/29/96 -0700, vanished@alpha.c2.org wrote:
>While rummaging around in my cookie jar, I found this message--along with
some cookies.

>:Netscape HTTP Cookie File
>:# http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html
>:# This is a generated file!  Do not edit.
>
>Rather than bring down my system by experimenting, I thought I'd ask the
list, "What happens if I delete this file?" and "What happens if I delete
(edit) the cookies?"

>This may have been discussed before, but until now I never checked for cookies.
>
>Thanks for your consideration of this matter.
>
>Vanished

Delete it at will.

Cookies are small tidbits of information that server side CGI progs (and
client side JavaScript progs) have saved. Cookies are generally used to
identify web users when they return to a site. I've seen cookies named
"lastvisit", "userid", and so on. If pathfinder.com creates a cookie, it is
only visible to pathfinder.com (that's the theory anyway).

Deleting the cookie.txt file will have no ill effects unless you are using
one of those "build yer own Start Pages" at MSN or wherever. Altering
cookies would send garbage down when the cookie is requested.

If you would rather that cookies (and crumb trails) not be allowed simply
delete any cookies present and make the nominal file read only.

John.

Thread