1996-06-26 - CIA Fears UmpTeen InfoNukes

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a2ac904e62a6e2669880bca363b0ed5940207e618f0e63290519e4942d915f82
Message ID: <199606261126.LAA02542@pipe2.t2.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 23:30:43 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 23:30:43 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: CIA Fears UmpTeen InfoNukes

   The New York Times, June 26, 1996, p. B7.

   Head of C.I.A. Plans Center To Protect Federal Computers

   By Tim Weiner

   Washington, June 25 -- Alarmed at the growing threat that
   computer hackers pose to national security, the Director of
   Central Intelligence today announced plans to create a
   "cyberwar" center to protect the bits and bytes that weave
   the nation together.

   The United States cannot be brought to its knees by a
   madman with a modem. But the Director, John M. Deutch, said
   the nation's intelligence agencies were alert to the threat
   of "very, very large" attacks on the computers that run
   Defense Department war rooms, power plants, telephone
   systems, air traffic control centers and international
   financial transfers.

   "The electron," Mr. Deutch warned, "is the ultimate
   precision-guided weapon."

   Mr. Deutch said he was seeking to create a cyberwar center
   at the National Security Agency, the giant electronic
   eavesdropping branch of American intelligence. He said the
   center could focus the Government's previously scattershot
   efforts to understand and combat the threats posed by
   governments, terrorist groups and mischievous teen-agers.

   Mr. Deutch's first public statement about information
   warfare came in testimony before Senator Sam Nunn, the
   Georgia Democrat who called a hearing of a Senate
   Governmental Affairs subcommittee to discuss the
   little-understood, highly classified problem.

   "There are some who believe we are going to have to have an
   electronic Pearl Harbor, so to speak, before we really make
   this the kind of priority that many of us believe it
   deserves to be made," Mr. Nunn said. "Do you think we're
   going to need that kind of real awakening, or are we fully
   alerted to this danger now?"

   Mr. Deutch replied: "I think that we are fully alerted to
   it now. I don't know whether we will face an electronic
   Pearl Harbor, but we will have, I'm sure, some very
   unpleasant circumstances."

   He added, "I'm certainly prepared to predict some very,
   very large and uncomfortable incidents."

   Mr. Deutch said cyberwar could become a 21st-century
   national security threat second only to nuclear, biological
   and chemical weapons.

   Potential attackers may already possess the sophisticated
   techniques they would need to bring off a cataclysmic
   crash, many experts believe, but they still lack the deep
   knowledge of their targets and direct access to the
   computer systems they would seek to disable.

   Military and civilian organizations are increasingly
   dependent on evermore complicated and interlinked systems.
   They run the risk of understanding the threat less and less
   as it becomes more and more complex Mr. Nunn and Mr. Deutch
   suggested.

   Senator Nunn also said intelligence agencies have
   communications problems with banks, telecommunications
   companies and other business ventures vulnerable to cyber
   attacks.

   "There's a great reluctance by the private sector to
   discuss the threat that they've faced or even the attacks
   that have already occurred," he said, "because they fear
   that the word would go out they're vulnerable, and
   therefore could destroy or damage consumer confidence and
   thereby cost them business."

   "At some point," the Senator added, "there's got to be
   communication here."

   [End]

Thread