1996-06-30 - Re: Hardware RNG

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a5f7ad34b6afa74351ad2fb07483ef90873440ba80ed13eb84cbb560b2462846
Message ID: <adfb5d610a0210048597@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 16:22:02 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 16:22:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Hardware RNG

At 1:26 AM 6/30/96, Jack Mott wrote:
>I just recently built a hardware RNG, I just wanted to see what you guys
>think of it, here is how it works:
>
>        Got a geiger counter plugged into the game port

>any thoughts? It seems to work well, no basic stat analysis reveals any
>pattern, and physicists have backed me up on radioactive decay being
>'the great randomizer'.

First, have fun playing with it. Second, watch out for subtle statistical
biases.

While radioactive decay is unpredictable (so are a lot of things, by the
way), there are all kinds of biases that reduce the apparent entropy.
Detector "dead time" is a classic one (basically, the detector can't detect
counts during a post-pulse recovery time...probably not a problem at low
count rates, but an example of how subtle things can sneak in).

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!