1996-06-04 - Crypto APIs Considered Harmful

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a61ef76c65b6e122ff60d9091484be3e582ebec709af813dc2afecaee4febb38
Message ID: <add87a9e090210045cd0@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 08:17:16 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 08:17:16 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Crypto APIs Considered Harmful

A typo when I wrote:

2. Eliminates a reason for controlling the distribution and export of
browsers, mailers, newsreaders, etc. Imagine the glum reaction of the NSA
when they realize that they can't control these programs, because the
"crypto hooks" are only the hooks to basic message payloads...and they
control these.
                                                   ^
                                                  *can't*

I meant to include the "can't."

A Web browser with no hooks for crypto absolutely will not be
export-controlled. But if users in Slovakia and Beninia can _see_ the
messages, as they of course can, then crypto programs they supply
themselves can of course see and act on the messages. (Copying to a
clipboard, for example, and lots of other ways.)

No way the NSA can control that.

Concentrating on integrating crypto tightly into commercial programs is
playing the NSA's game.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!