1996-06-07 - Kook of the Month

Header Data

From: Bruce Baugh <bruce@aracnet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ac450ae036000f27a14a119dfbc7ae6400b87cf53b74083c59fcc91bdab33ac0
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960606160108.006c4794@mail.aracnet.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:37:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Bruce Baugh <bruce@aracnet.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:37:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Kook of the Month

Cypherpunks don't just write code, they engage in petty vote fraud!

=-=-=-=-=

From: mlegare@wetware.com (M. Legare, etc.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.kooks,news.admin.net-abuse.misc
Subject: KotM Winners for May 1996 - SOMEONE'S miffed!
Date: 3 Jun 1996 16:05:12 GMT

Well... it's June and here we go with the Winners for May - at least I'm
more on-schedule than I was for April...

KOOK OF THE MONTH MAY 1996 - DMITRI VULIS (dlv@bwalk.dm.com)

In one of the most HOTLY contested KotM races in the history of the award
under my watch, Dmitri Vilus NARROWLY edged out vote taker Dave C (tale)
Lawrence in a race that was right down to the wire.

Let's recap:  Dmitri Vulis nominated tale for KotM because tale was involved
in a "conspiracy of thousands" to send out "forged rmgroup" messages for
a newsgroup that Dmitri wanted to create.  Dmitri then posted evidence of
somewhat dunious validity, and someone nominated Dmitri.

And the votes started pouring in.  Some from congress.gov, some from
algebra.com, some from bwalk.dm.com... hundreds of votes.

Well, after an initial surge ahead by the tale backers, a DELUGE of email
backing Vulis for KotM poured in, and, since I had to assume that ALL
votes were valid (as Dmitri kept forging posts to misc.test in my name
to show his displeasure at my INSINUATING that he might have forged any
votes), Dmitri won by a narrow 30 vote margin!

Vote Count:

Dmitri Vulis - 428 votes
David C Lawrence (tale) - 398 votes
Ed McClosky - 18 votes
Yehuda Silver - 9 votes
Bill Palmer - 4 votes
ellisd@netcom.com - 4 votes
Mr SAM - 2 votes
None of the Above - 3 votes
George Conklin - 1 vote
Rachel Ewing-Pace - 0 votes
smokindude@aol.com - 0 votes

Clueless Newbie of the Month for May 1996 - MARGE KRICK

Marge won in a less vopulumnous but just as hotly contested race.  As you may
know, Marge is offering a list of ALL USNET NEWSGROUPS for a very reasonable
price - JUST the thing we need, unless you know how to look at your
..newsrc file.

Oops.

Vote Count:
Marge Krick - 12 votes
Bill Byers - 11 votes
Brian Dear - 7 votes
John Turco - 7 votes
None of the Above - 5 votes

Hook Line & Sinker for May 1996 - NONE OF THE ABOVE

Apparently, Charles "Chuckie Monster" Newman didn't impress enough people.
Sorry, Charlie.

Vote Count:

None of the Above - 19 votes
Charles "Chuckie Monster" Newman - 9 votes

The Victor Von Frankenstein Memorial "Wierd Science" Award - THE USA PARLIAMENT

Brainchild of politial mover and reformer James Ogle (joogle@netcom.com),
the USA PAR is the ONLY "fair" and truly representative governing body in
the US.  Plan?  Scheme? Deluded ravings?  Well, several members of the
USA PAR (who also post to alt.politics.greens) have voted to disband the
USA PAR, to replace James Ogle as secretary, and a few dozen other self-
destructive things, yet the ballots just keep rolling out...

Vote Count:

USA PAR - 19 votes
Joly*s 4-Dimensional Speakers - 6 votes
the Music Theory of Alber Silverman -  4 votes
Church of Scientology (write-in) -  4 votes
None of the Above - 15 Votes

THE GOLDEN KILLFILE - DR. JAI MAHRAJ

I'm not gonna explain, because if you don't know, you're better off.
Check soc.culture.hawaiian and a few thousan related newsgroups.

Vote Count:

Jai Mahraj - 30 votes
None of the Above - 13 votes
the alt.religion.scientology spammer (write-in): 1
LAW DOCTOR JOHN GRUBOR  (write-in): 1
Ted Holden (write-in): 1

OK. That's it for May.  Nominees go to alt.usenet.kooks, and I'll have the
new nominees post out soon.

Oh, and by the way, if anyone sees ANYTHING that is nominally from me BUT
is also cross-posted to misc.test, you have my express written permission to
CANCEL that article.  You know who you are.  And no more naughty forgeries
ok guys?

Matthew Legare
KotM Vote Wrangler

Thread