1996-06-06 - ICE - International Cryptography Experiment

Header Data

From: “Joseph M. Reagle Jr.” <reagle@mit.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b06582a97839fcbcff8e65383e340dea10bc3ca705c65a176584414da3259a85
Message ID: <9606051848.AA25257@rpcp.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 16:06:41 +0800

Raw message

From: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 16:06:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: ICE - International Cryptography Experiment

I've seen some mention of international cryptographic CAPI issues, and I
think it is of great importance. However, I don't think many people have had
a chance to look at the actual work. Check out ICE. Those familiar with
cyberpunk fiction will no doubt find the ancronym as humorous/ironic as I do
<grin>:

The International Cryptography Experiment (ICE) calls for a series of
experiments to promote the international use of cryptography in common
computer software applications (i.e., word processors, spreadsheets,
electronic mail systems) in a manner that honors individual national
controls on the import, export, and use of cryptography. The general
approach being advocated by numerous organizations in several countries is
the use of a Cryptographic Application Programming Interface (CAPI) to
separate the actual performance of the cryptographic functions from the
software applications that call for encryption of specific messages or
files. ICE is an informally structured program to coordinate the many
efforts underway in the U.S and several other countries to advance the
general understanding of CAPIs and their use to promote international
cryptography. It is intended that practical standards derived from actual
use will evolve from these experiments in the spirit by which Internet
standards evolve.

http://www.tis.com/crypto/ice.html .
Regards,            Real generosity toward the future lies in giving
                    all to the present. - Albert Camus
Joseph  Reagle      http://farnsworth.mit.edu/~reagle/home.html
reagle@mit.edu      E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65  BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E

Thread