1996-06-26 - domain names / f-secure..

Header Data

From: brian dodds <jyacc!aspen!bdodds@uunet.uu.net>
To: Shifter <aspen!uunet!portal.stwing.upenn.edu!shifter@uunet.uu.net>
Message Hash: b207858546cf31c124c1f3658396eea85e804d6f65e99ca1d11afa6ebf47ea31
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960625163742.16177G-100000@aspen>
Reply To: <199606251353.JAA07632@portal.stwing.upenn.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-26 04:25:09 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 12:25:09 +0800

Raw message

From: brian dodds <jyacc!aspen!bdodds@uunet.uu.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 12:25:09 +0800
To: Shifter <aspen!uunet!portal.stwing.upenn.edu!shifter@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: domain names / f-secure..

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Shifter wrote:

> There was never a "one-time" fee.  You could register as many domains as
> you wanted whenever you wanted (as long as you weren't violating a
> trademark or something like that).

even that was questionable, there were a rash of copyright infringements
a couple of years ago.. the legal holders of the names that were taken
had to go to great lengths to get the name, and sometimes could not.. i'm
sure you've heard of the toys-r-us vs. roadkill-r-us domain dispute, and
how microsoft.com finally `persuaded' micros0ft.com to give it up..

at any rate - has anyone tried out that new f-secure by the folks who
brought us f-prot? "military strength internet encryption".. seems to be
an encrypted telnet, but i can't replace our server to test it..

				bri..

--bdodds@jyacc.com
brian dodds, systems administration, jyacc, inc. wellesley, ma
--617.431.7431x125
opinions expressed within are not necessarily my own or anyone elses..

Thread