1996-06-18 - Re: Snake Oil on the Water…

Header Data

From: “David E. Smith” <dsmith@prairienet.org>
To: richieb@teleport.com
Message Hash: c55f8ef8c7c777b759af230bce063e813b18238b178b40436abd65e055dfe7e6
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19960617204240.00679dc0@204.248.40.2>
Raw Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:36:07 +0800

Raw message

From: "David E. Smith" <dsmith@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:36:07 +0800
To: richieb@teleport.com
Subject: Re: Snake Oil on the Water...

At 12:27 PM 16-06-96 -0700, it was written:

>>At the following two sites, you may download the FREEWARE Pegasus Mail
>>program version 2.3.3 16 bit for windows 3.x or a version for WIN95.
>
>I like Pmail.  Had I not been an experienced Eudora user before I
>tried it (and pretty stuck on the Eudora interface) I would have
>probably stuck with it.  Kudos to the Pegasus team for releasing
>a freeware program with such excellent filtering capabilites.  It
>is much more of a full-fledged program than Eudora Lite, IMHO.
>
>> The
>>unique thing about it, besides its simplicity and that it's a great mail
>>program better than Eudora, it has a built in encryption program that is as
>>effective as PGP and lots simpler. All you do is agree on a password with
>>your correspondent. That simple.

The "encryption" built into PMail is - and the author admits
this - crap.  He wrote the encryptor interface, which is
essentially Message XOR Password, as a demonstration.  Then
the JN PGP interface was written.

>> The encryption program and the mail program
>>were developed in New Zealand, and were legally imported, so the encryption
>>program is better than PGP, which is regulated by Federal Cypher Laws.
>
>This is misleading, IMHO.

Mild understatement.

>PC users who use PGP should try Pegasus and PGP JN.

Been there, done that.  It's a nice combo, but could
be a little better.

>Private Idaho is available from Joel McNamara's page, at:
>http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/

Been there, done that.  It's also a nice program, but
nowhere near a full featured mail client.  That's
by design, as I understand.

dave

Thread