1996-06-25 - Re: Zimmerman/Viacrypt

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: richieb@teleport.com
Message Hash: c7f85670a16f412d762d81b1b79d33fb0d256c3b5061e2770c40e8ec59a58b03
Message ID: <199606240734.DAA02511@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:57:59 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:57:59 +0800
To: richieb@teleport.com
Subject: Re: Zimmerman/Viacrypt

Also note that "PGP" is Phil's trademark. If Viacrypt wants to market
an 'escrowed' encryption utility that is compatabile with PGP, they
can if they use their own code and if they don't use the trademark.

--Rob.

On 23 Jun 96 at 12:17, Rich Burroughs wrote:
[..]
> Phil's feelings about PGP are a different matter, though.  If he feels it
> shouldn't be used that way, and that Viacrypt has violated their agreement,
> then he should pursue it, IMHO.  It doesn't necessarily follow that he's
> just using it as an excuse to wrest the commercial version from them.  He
> may feel they really have gone beyond what was agreed upon.  I suppose it
> will be up to the courts to decide whether the escrow system is a "back
> door" or not.

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread