1996-06-14 - Students Beware – Fla. gov. questions jailing of researcher

Header Data

From: “Joseph M. Reagle Jr.” <reagle@MIT.EDU>
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
Message Hash: d084fd2f882d1fb997f00ee9877c9c47aa5252566daa77ccea3fe45e0d8947aa
Message ID: <9606131809.AA28979@rpcp.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:27:32 +0800

Raw message

From: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:27:32 +0800
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
Subject: Students Beware -- Fla. gov. questions jailing of researcher

>Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:06:00 -0400
>From: reagle@rpcp.mit.edu (Joseph M. Reagle Jr.)
>To: reagle@rpcp.mit.edu
>Subject: Fla. gov. questions jailing of researcher
>

>        TALLAHASSEE, Fla., June 12 (UPI) -- Gov. Lawton Chiles said Wednesday
>he has ordered Florida education officials to determine whether a
>university researcher jailed in a patent dispute should be freed.
>        Petr Taborsky, an undergraduate chemistry major who worked for $8.50
>an hour in a laboratory at the University of South Florida, was
>sentenced in January to 3 1/2 years in a maximum-security prison.
>        He had refused to sign over to the school a patent for a new way he
>discovered to use a substance similar to cat litter to purify water.
>        ``I don't know what he's doing in prison,'' said Harry Singletary,
>Florida's prisons chief. ``We need prison beds for violent offenders,
>for repeat offenders. I don't see him as anybody threatening the public
>safety.''
>        Chiles' general counsel, Dexter Douglass, asked the Florida Board of
>Regents to look into the university's handling of what he called ``this
>bizarre case.''
>        Douglass has also asked the state's attorney general to look into the
>prosecution of Taborsky, ``particularly the apparent use of state funds
>for private attorneys to push criminal penalties.''
>        USF reportedly has spent more than $320,000 on the Taborsky case, in
>addition to the costs of staff attorneys.
>        Taborsky's legal problems stemmed from a testing contract USF signed
>in 1987 with Florida Progress Corp., a utility conglomerate.
>        The contract specified that Florida Progress would own all data and
>discoveries. But when Taborsky was hired to work on the project, he did
>not sign an employment contract forfeiting the right to profit in
>anything he might discover.
>        When he left school in 1988, Taborsky took two notebooks that USF
>ordered him to return. When he refused, university police charged him
>with theft.
>        Taborsky contended the data contained in the notebooks was from
>research he conducted separate from the Florida Progress project and
>that the utility showed no interest in it until he discovered the new
>water-purification method.
>        When a jury convicted him of theft in 1990, Taborsky was sentenced to
>a year's house arrest, 15 years' probation and ordered to make no
>further use of the data.
>        But he pursued a patent and in 1992 received the first of three for
>the process. USF lawyers argued that was a violation of his probation,
>and the court ordered Taborsky to sign over the patent to the
>university.
>        He refused, and was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison.
>        Taborsky began prison life five months ago and has been described as
>a model inmate. He served on a chain gang at first and by May was
>working at the institution's waste-water treatment plant creating
> [...]
Regards,            Laziness is no more than the habit of resting before you
                    get tired. -Jules Renard
Joseph  Reagle      http://farnsworth.mit.edu/~reagle/home.html
reagle@mit.edu      E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65  BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E

Thread