1996-06-09 - Re: [NOISE] Re: RFD: Time to kick some anti-scientologist ass?

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d7db592958949e5befd884b3ae86f10259f25d5c840a6d210144ae17b67c73be
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.93.960609115703.8416A-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <qwc0oD83w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-09 23:39:39 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 07:39:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 07:39:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [NOISE] Re: RFD: Time to kick some anti-scientologist ass?

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> I note that you chose to ignore the cypherpunks-relevant portion of my
> question - that the anti-scientologists have been abusing the cypherpunks
> remailers.

I have to agree with the KOTM on this one, as did many of the ars posters
(after a few days of flames subsided). IMO, with the remailer network weak,
and with the posters KNOWING that the remailers were weak (someone posted
ATTACKS ON REMAILERS IMMINENT!!! before the NOTS postings), they should have
used throwaway accounts or some other method of posting, like throwaway AOL
accounts. Fortunately, the damage was localized.

For routine criticism of the cult, absolutely yes, please use the remailers,
but for blatant "copyright terrorism," be careful. As I believe they will...
we're really not in disagreement here. Only the kooks on either side are
trying to make this controversial. I certainly don't think anyone should
hold any sort of grudge against the arsvolk (i.e., I don't hate myself for
posting Scamizdat 11 a few times to ars and my web page, under my own name).
I think everyone but CoS and the KOTM have learned something from this
experience, and we'll be better equipped to deal with the next challenge.

We all know we COULD stress the remailer network, probably to the breaking
point, by sending the right messages to the right people. But we don't,
because we're responsible (sorry, I don't think that's a dirty word). Use
the right tool for the job.

-rich

Thread