1996-06-26 - Re: AT&T bans anonymous messages

Header Data

From: rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com (Richard Todd)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e81a898626dbf259fd1f41d347c9c19f7a0cfb63e995fc14b49adf337ef29b0d
Message ID: <m0uYy5s-000f6YC@servalan.servalan.com>
Reply To: <199606260559.WAA27746@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-26 23:17:57 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 07:17:57 +0800

Raw message

From: rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com (Richard Todd)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 07:17:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: AT&T bans anonymous messages

In mailinglist.cypherpunks Bill Stewart writes:
>I'd guess that the first complaint will either be ignored (because they're
>busy trying to get the service on line and scaled up to 500,000 people)
>or else get the account squashed without a second thought (because they're
>busy trying to get the service on line and scaled up to 500,000 people),
>but the first few spams that cause mass quantities of complaints will start
>to get people thinking.

Um, you don't read news.admin.net-abuse.misc, do you?  The first few spams
from worldnet have already happened, and from the reports I've seen on there,
the response from worldnet's posthamster has been pretty much nonexistent.
It apparently doesn't help that the 'postmaster' mailbox has a quota just
like the other mailboxen on the system, so every time someone does spam
from worldnet, half the complaint mail to postmaster bounces.

Thread