1996-06-30 - Re: fbi botches intel “ecspionage” case

Header Data

From: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: f731611049c97e7a82b4ed19d0b48c0b518a77e602b3baba3a9671c171cc48eb
Message ID: <199606292247.PAA25329@netcom9.netcom.com>
Reply To: <adfae81f08021004f81e@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-30 03:56:03 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 11:56:03 +0800

Raw message

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 11:56:03 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: fbi botches intel "ecspionage" case

TCM
>I didn't see this particular "Nightline," so I can't be certain this is the
>same case I have been casually following for a couple of years. However, it
>sounds like the case of the guy who spent a year at Intel, stole some
>design tapes, went to work for AMD, offered them to AMD, had AMD refuse him
>and report his offer to Intel (the chip companies are very cooperative in
>these matters), and then proceeded on a bizarre course of offering the
>tapes to various foreign nations.

that's the guy.

>A comedy of sorts, and his "damage" was essentially meaningless.

the nightline segment certainly failed to convey that concept, but it
was what I raised in my post. in fact
it was all virtually touted as a great reason for new stringent intellectual
property laws by the reporter. "the fbi's hands are tied" he might have
even said.

>I don't recall _anything_ about him being planted by the FBI within Intel,
>nor can I imagine any circumstances in which the FBI would try this. So
>maybe I'm thinking of a different story.

probably the same one based on new elements that have just been discovered.
I missed the first half of the show but I think it was based on a new
book.

>Larry, you must not have been subscribed during the months when we debated
>this issue many times. There have also been numerous mentions of this since
>at least 1990, when I recall discussions of a change in mission for the
>NSA.

Klaus, I have seen many debates on this list and weren't what I was
talking about. this list has very little influence on public policy
as you might imagine <g>  ok, I will get flamed for that, but frankly
the public perception of cypherpunks is as a bunch of anarchists.

I mean public opinion pieces in newspapers, policy
journals, the washington talking-heads circuit like "meet the press",
etc-- but we will probably be getting that soon. except the topic
will be "what do we do about evil infoterrorists", instead of
"are evil infoterrorists a real problem". "does intellectual
property really exist, and if so what is it"  "do we actually need
new laws to create a new class of infocriminals"

>In the case I described, involving Intel and Pentium plans and a recent
>prison sentence, this was not the case. The FBI did not plant the thief.

sure sounds similar though. the guy on nightline went to brazil. maybe
that's all some juicy new info that you haven't gotten yet through
any of your "blacknet" sources. heh heh. not too often I scoop the
ILF. <g>

>I'm sure an Alta Vista search would turn up this story. I don't plan to do
>it, though. I'm relatively certain the "Nightline" piece you cite is
>related to the case I've described. Whether "Nightline" got its wires
>crossed, or Larry did, is unknown to me.

yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about, Klaus (speaking of crossing
wires, my name is Vladimir, Vlad for short). don't understand your
fetish of calling people different names, does that have something
to do with that crypty-anarchy stuff or something? just curious.

Thread