1996-06-18 - Whats new at Bletchley Park

Header Data

From: pjb@ny.ubs.com (Paul J. Bell)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f77ec63ca97075d5eed9a627a8680ad061dc85a7687cf02e18bfccd52e8a30f0
Message ID: <9606181455.AA04450@sherry.ny.ubs.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 05:42:09 +0800

Raw message

From: pjb@ny.ubs.com (Paul J. Bell)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 05:42:09 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Whats new at Bletchley Park

Greetings;

I have just returned from spending a week at Bletchley Park, and have the following
to report:

On Thursday, 6 June, we had the official switch-on of the rebuilt Colossus.
There is still a lot of work to be done on Colossus, but that which is there
is definitely working.  What remains is to fill in the holes to expand it to
the full five wide system that was the Mark-II machine.

The switch-on was accompanied by a reasonable sized media affair with many
of the original Colossus users present.  Also in attendance was Tommy Flowers,
the designer of the original, along with his wife and son.  It was the first
time that his wife had seen or even heard a lot about Colossus. Dr. Flowers,
now in his nineties, has a wonderful memory and is a first class gentleman.
It was a real pleasure to spend some time with him. There was a lot of local
media coverage, but as yet I have seen nothing in international media, such as
The (London) Times or the Financial Times, both of whom were represented at the
switch-on.

During this time, I also installed a new Sun Netra-I server at BP.  This server
was most kindly donated by Sun Micro Systems.   Many thanks to Scott, who set
the direction for this gift, and to Matthew, Michael and Steven at Sun-UK for
all their efforts in making this happen.

A four GByte disk farm was also donated by BoxHill Systems.  Thanks to Carol,
Ben, Philip, etal at BoxHill for this contribution.

This server will provide Internet and WWW access to BP and will serve as the
BP mailhost.  Once we have the communications facilities in place, the server,
elgar, will be on-line.  I'll keep the net informed re: our progress in that
direction.

Once on-line, Tony Sale has a lot of very cool  ideas for web pages, including
an interactive, GUI-based  Enigma emulation.  Tony and James Bristow also plan
to move their existing Web pages to elgar.

The plans to make BP into a one-of-a-kind museum are well underway.  Many
improvements and added facilities have been added since I was there in April,
including a nice bar and restaurant in the original Hut Four.  Again I will
keep the net up-to-date until the Web server is generally available.

I strongly urge everyone who has the opportunity to visit BP to do so.  At
this point they are open every other weekend, but will, at some point in the
future, improve on that.

If you have any questions, e-mail me, or for 'open weekend status' call BP
directly at: (011 44) 1 908 640404.

Many thanks to my friends and colleagues at Bletchley Park; Roger, Peter, Tony,
Harry, Margaret, etc, for their hospitality and kindness.

	-paul (pjb@23kgroup.com)

Thread