1996-06-09 - Re:

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fbe4a4a01543939a7ad249a76a47bd82d597ddbd4b0706eab2557891c4238cd9
Message ID: <u7c0oD84w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199606090728.CAA21978@manifold.algebra.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-09 18:15:04 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 02:15:04 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 02:15:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:

ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home) writes:
> Actually, here in Oklahoma almost everyone has a gun (not that they use
> them though, but many carry). Incidentally, everyone including most down
> to earth truckers is exceedingly polite. When I went to NYC first time,
> I was shocked how less polite people were in comparison with Oklahomans.
>
> Are the folks in Flushing, NY or around Avenue of the Americas allowed to
> possess firearms? :)

I'm not quite in Flushing, but: it's possible to keep one at home, but
a carry licence is impossible.

> Russians in Russia are even less polite, and guns are outlawed.

Russians in Russia are very polite to boys wearing leather and riding BMW's.
New Yorkers are sometimes polite to black men wearing lots of gold jewelry.
Maybe they suspect something.

> Maybe your hint really makes sense and after initial depopulation the
> citizens will use different, more considerate, ways of dealing with each
> other.

I think it would take very few 'depopulation' incidents to improve manners.
Humans, like rats, are very good at learning from others' mistakes.

>        Or, alternatively, maybe people will hide behind anonymity most
> of the time to avoid becoming vistims of jimbell's clearinghouse.
> Really, it is very hard to assasssinate username@alpha.c2.org, although
> it is possible to hire nyms to write programs and pay them hard earned
> digicash.

There are some very interesting discussions in Bruno Solnik's book I
mentioned about the worth of anonymity v. reputation in financial markets.
I wonder if it would be possible for government officials to hide behind
anonymity. Everyone will hate a certain gov't official, but no one will
know who s/he is?

> If we think about anonymous computer contractors and anonymous
> employers, the interesting question is how to maintain reputations and
> how to check references.

That's an interesting question - want to think about a protocol?

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM