1996-07-18 - Reuters coverage of the Netscape release

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0312fafb152eab1f97327f7087791310e697b8b854915f6956ec15801009620f
Message ID: <01I773KYX3W49ED9YD@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 14:05:11 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 14:05:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Reuters coverage of the Netscape release

	Most people reading this are likely to wonder "how could overseas
Net surfers downloading it hurt anyone?", although some wil have their minds
go blank (or blanker than normal) at the mention of "terrorist groups." A
mixed set of news coverage, overall. As usual (even if I forget to state it),
edited to try to stay within fair use.
	-Allen

>   _ Wednesday July 17 6:52 AM EDT _

>Government Approves More Secure Netscape

>   MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (Reuter) - Netscape Communications Corp. has
>   received government clearance to distribute a highly secure version of
>   its popular Navigator Web browser in the United States via the
>   Internet.

[...]

>   Officials had been concerned that if the more secure version was
>   available on the Net, overseas Net surfers -- possibly including
>   terrorist groups -- would download it, she said.

>   The software contains multiple formulas that make it virtually
>   impenetrable for computer hackers and others who might attempt to
>   break into Internet transmissions, steal credit card codes or tamper
>   with bank accounts.

[...]

>   ``This new ability ... means more people will have access to stronger
>   and more secure communications than ever before,'' Netscape co-founder
>   Marc Andreessen said in a statement.

>   ``This stronger security will help to accelerate the adoption of the
>   Internet as a medium for online communication and commerce,'' he
>   added.

[...]

>   _Reuters Limited_

Thread