1996-07-10 - Re: MSoft crypto API’s

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: George Kuzmowycz <gkuzmo@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: 06b46bcd3d3c20703c7589bf88dcfb368e39f168093332e5f7fe4aa975e169b9
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.94.960710031550.1856B-100000@polaris>
Reply To: <199607092319.QAA00934@dfw-ix2.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-10 10:33:33 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 18:33:33 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 18:33:33 +0800
To: George Kuzmowycz <gkuzmo@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: MSoft crypto API's

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, George Kuzmowycz wrote:

[...]

> "  Microsoft's Crypto APIs will be available to third-party vendors
> writing applications with embedded security. But the hardware or
> software Crypto-engines for these applications will need to be
> digitally signed by Microsoft before they will work with the APIs.
> Under an unusual arrangement with the NSA, Microsoft will act as a
> front man for the powerful U.S. spy agency, checking on whether the
> vendors' products comply with U.S. export rules."
>
>   I was a bit surprised not to see any discussion of this here. Is it
> just old news? Or maybe people here don't read Network World?

[...]

>   An MS/NSA alliance?
>
>         -gk-

This is a very deft and sly move, if it was indeed planned, by the NSA.

Clearly they have got the message.  Political efforts to curtail crypto
are doomed to failure.  Economic strangulation is the way to go.

Well here you are folks, months of bitching about how stupid the NSA must
be has paid off.  Not only is this clever, its insidious.

1. It's too difficult for Joe Sixpack to understand.
2. It preys on the market leader already, rather than attempting to
bootstrap (as with clipper).
3. It uses as its implementation a private, rather than a public entity.

Now this strikes me as something truely frightening.  The NSA has become
an intelligence agency which is effectively working in concert with
private interests to conduct internal security operations by proxy.

And what has microsoft gained?  Nothing.  They are still subject to export
laws, they even have to kiss NSA ass more now less their little bit of
largess be yanked away from them.

While in past using a corporation such as E-Systems as a front and a
constitutional end around was expected, this is the pre-empting of a major
pre-existing entity.  Does not bode well.

Netscape, are you listening?  You are being battered around in the press
and on the market as being a flash in the pan.  Yes, you got there first,
but you are now giving it up to MicroSoft, or so say the writers.

I was brutal and hard on you on this list for a reason before, and that
was because the above was my fear.

Netscape, are you listening?

Now would be a good time to announce that you are not working for the NSA
like some other companies.

God, I wish someone in Netscape PR would wake the hell up.

--
I hate lightning - finger for public key - Vote Monarchist
unicorn@schloss.li

Thread