1996-07-23 - [Noise] Hettinga Sees Colors…

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: snow <alano@teleport.com>
Message Hash: 06b9af168149fe88ac18664a7a5c01c03acdb0aabe6c8caf5cbd54d69775611f
Message ID: <v03007628ae19621ca0de@[206.119.69.46]>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960720183725.00e38e60@mail.teleport.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-23 06:10:55 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:10:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:10:55 +0800
To: snow <alano@teleport.com>
Subject: [Noise] Hettinga Sees Colors...

At 10:00 PM -0400 7/21/96, snow wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 1996, Alan Olsen wrote:
> > At 10:10 AM 7/20/96 -0800, Vinnie Moscaritolo wrote:
> > >Speaking of Bob Hettinga put it to words best, told me that standing
>on the
> > >Concord bridge he could see the colors of the American flag eminating
> > >outwards to the rest of the country. Yup this is where it all started..
> > Should teach him not to drink so much in the combat zone in Boston. ]:>
>
>      Doesn't sound like he was drinking. Or if it was liquid, he didn't
> drink more than a drop or two...

Okay, Okay, Okay...

Speaking as a Genuine (unconvicted ;-)) Felon and Certified-Insane Acid
Casualty, that was probably a fair shot. However...

About six weeks ago (as measured by the household clutter-depth since
then...) my sister-in-law, her husband (a comptroller for a chip-company),
their kids, my wife and I went to Concord to look at the "rude bridge"
where the first shots of the American revolution were fired.  Actually
choked me up a bit. Never figured on that.

Anyway, I was standing there at the monument to the British war dead ;-),
and said to the kids (ages 15, 13, and 11), "Guys, right here, on this
spot," (they looked down) " is were America [sic] started. If you could
imagine the ground here painted red, white and blue, and then the colors
radiating out from here in all directions", (they looked around) "from the
Atlantic to the Pacific, to Alaska and Hawaii, and bunch of islands in both
oceans. Oh, yeah. Even the Moon." Then they looked up.

Then they caught themselves, and looked at *me*, with classic adolescent
disdain, like I was from Mars. "Oh. *Right*, Uncle Bob..."

;-).

Same kids gifted me this Christmas with a polartec jester's cap (complete
with bells, handy when shovelling in a blizzard in, ahem, February?). When
they got here, I got a pair of Lennon-looking sunglasses with holograms of
Tex Avery eyeballs on them. Tokens of esteem for their Uncle Bob.

Hmmm. Maybe I *did* see colors out there in Concord. Greaaat visuals. Just
don't move your head too fast, man, or you'll miss 'em....

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"'Bart Bucks' are not legal tender."
                -- Punishment, 100 times on a chalkboard,
                       for Bart Simpson
The e$ Home Page: http://www.vmeng.com/rah/

Thread